Sunday, May 16, 2010

Weekly Seacret Weapon: Extending Life Between Washes

It wasn't until pretty recently that I decided to try to extend the time between washing my hair. There are many benefits, such as, less time used on styling, better styling (oily hair curls best!), and less haircuts a year. The last time I went for a haircut, my stylist actually said my hair looked great (from the last time she saw me, which was 6 months prior) and wanted to know what I had been doing differently.

Lately, I've been going about 3 1/2 days between washes only washing my hair twice a week. There are still things I'm trying but I wanted to share with you the simple steps of extending the time between your hair washes, especially those with long hair like me!


Tip #1: Use a shampoo for dry scalps. I use Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree Oil Shampoo as it clears dandruff and prevents itching without the nasty smell of T-Gel.

Tip #2: When conditioning, only use on the ends of your hair. This will make your scalp less greasy for the days to come. I use a moisturizing conditioner since I naturally have curly hair.

Tip #3: Avoid using hair products such as serums and gels that will add build-up and grease on the first day. Styling products may need to be used on day 2 or 3 to give a little volume and lift but use sparingly!



Tip #4: Try using a dry shampoo or powder. I recently upgraded to the TRESemme Dry Spray Shampoo from baby powder. It's great because it's only $5 and it smells wonderful (not like a baby's bottom!). I also read about another powder called the All-Nighter Styling Powder that comes in different colors specified for your hair and smells like tangerine. Any of these would do to take the greasy/wet look out of your hair.

Tip #5: If all else fails, try braiding your hair. I tried a fishtail for the first, thanks to fellow blogger, Lisa Fergus, and I think it turned out pretty well. Interesting braids will definitely distract anyone from looking at your greasy strands for another day!






So give it a try. It definitely saves time and improves your hair and scalp's health. What's better than that?

1 comment:

Balancing Lisa said...

Fishtail looks great! Thanks for the shout out! ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...